Sunday, October 14, 2007

80/20-80/20-20/80 - 20....wha?

There is a general rule of thumb that says that 80% of the money is held by just 20% of the population. For me, I want those people as my clients. In fact, the next rule is that 80% of your business' income comes from 20% of your clients, and that's certainly true for me.

What about customer service issues?

(Continued after the Jump)
Yes, sadly, 20% of your customers are the ones responsible for a full 80% of the problems/complaints/issues that your customers present.

Further, there is another rule - if 20% of your customers are not complaining about your prices, you're not charging enough.

Concentrating on the 20% of the clients you have and you'll be doing all that you can to continue to maintain 80% of your profits.

Simple?

Yes.

Let me state it another way - if I spend all my time focused on handing out my business cards to people at an event I photograph, the net revenue from those prints will be far less than what I could have earned with all the time making prints and billing them, and collecting $20 here, $40 there, than if I took a billable assignment, or worked to cultivate more assignments during that time.

Or, identifying the class/type of clients who, for you, are responsible for that most profitable 20%, and work to grow them. I can't know which type they are within your business, but it's a truism that applies cross-industry.


Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh, I never thought of it that way. But that's gotta be the one of the best pieces of information on business that someone has given.

Newer Post Older Post