Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Dispatches From the Edge: 40,000 Feet

When I talk to friends and colleagues, every once and awhile the conversation turns to how I accomplish whatever multitudes of projects I am juggling. Many friends get emails from me at 3am, others via my iPhone midday, many wonder about the intern program I maintain year-round, juggling speaking and answering e-mails from a variety of colleagues about their own negotiations, running the blogs, and, oh, right, shooting (which is what actually pays the bills).

The answer to how I do it is:

(Continued after the Jump)

Time-slicing and multi-tasking. Above is a photo of my workspace at 40,000 feet, enroute an assignment overseas for 14 days. Normally, the time from when someone leaves the office to when they board the plane to arrive at their final destination would be down-time. Here's what transpired during that time for me:

Depart Office - 11:45 am - Took assistant with me to discuss what she's doing and the analog-to-digital project she's working on. The ride was 45 minutes. 35 minutes was spent discussing that, and 10 minutes was spent on the phone with a photographer in the midwest who was looking for advice on how to handle pricing an assignment he was being asked to do. I'd previously taken his call before leaving the office, and asked him to call me at 12:30, which he did.

Arrive at airport - 12:30 - Once past the TSA checkpoint, an e-mail came in from a client looking for an estimate for a job mid-September. I forwarded that e-mail on to my post-production manager to do the estimate, and gave her guidance on the fees for it. When I called to confirm she'd gotten it, I was in line for lunch near my gate. She informed me that she was on the line with a photographer in New York who needed some job pricing a job that was shot on spec and now the possible client wanted the images. Grrrr. No Spec! Anyway, I walked her through that while waiting for the order I placed to be made.

1:15 - Waiting to board plane - checking e-mail another estimate request came in for an assignment the day I get back. Call the office, and use the iPhone to conference in the the prospective client (editorial) and confirm their budget, and other details. Hang up from conference, and get onboard plane at 1:30. While waiting for other passengers, re-connect with post-production manager about the estimate, and have her prepare the estimate. 1:44 - update Facebook status. 1:45 - Wheels-Up Washington enroute JFK.

1:55 - 10,000 feet. Begin Season 1, Episode 1 of Entourage. I know, I know, you Entourage fans. I am late to the game. I downloaded the whole season from iTunes, and will time-slice and watch what I can when I can. I get through 21 minutes of the first episode (already hooked - Jeremy Piven is awesome in the Sushi restaurant scene where he talks to "pizza boy" about a $4M deal for the actor they both are advising. Preparing for landing, so gotta shut it down for now.

2:35 - Arrive JFK, and head to wireless access point (WAP) and power source. Connect online, and call office. Review estimate that was sent to me while in-flight. The PLUS language on the contract was not consistent with this assignment, and so I asked my office manager to make the changes to the paperwork, and then it was okay to send.

3:10pm - Prior to departure, my assistant who had driven me up had done copywork (Returning to the (Digital) Darkroom, 6/5/08) of 302 medium format images we're sending off to JaincoTech to get scanned and keyworded. The 302 images were in about 47 files. At the WAP, I reviewed all 302, and had to write captions for about 110 of them. I used my PhotoMechanic software to edit the images. Each image was easily viewable and had 9 separate small images. I was able to put the captions into each file for nine images at a time.

4:15 - mid-September client changes timing for assignment from 7am-11am to 5am - 10am, and wants a revised estimate, and wants to know if that changes the price. (Answer: Yes, it does!). Call office and have a revised contract sent.

4:30 - Video conference with post-production manager about questions she had for work she was doing. Handled that at the same time as continuing to caption.

4:45 - Reviewed the liveBooks website that will go-live in the next 24 hours for my post-production manager. It looks great. (Yea - it went live while I was in-flight - check it here!)

5:05 pm - from the WAP, I emailed back the 47 files using PhotoMechanic's handy and automated "e-mail files" feature. I had to end the video conference because of bandwidth issues, and the files went to her via e-mail and she got them all.

5:10 - A call from a colleague needing help with e-mail language because her client was saying she was too expensive, so we had to justify the value she brought to the assignment.

5:15- Video conference with colleague who will be changing jobs soon and we discussed the landscape that they are entering (and also that they're leaving.)

5:30 - Head to gate. E-mail comes in from mid-September client wanting to extend the rights package and add in advertising. I responded that we'd get her two new estimates in the morning. She tries to tempt me with "this will be an annual thing" but she wants longer than a year for the use. In my response, when justifying the added rights package costs, I explain that with the extended time, that diminishes her need for me next year.

5:45 - On plane, doors still open. E-mail comes in on iPhone responding to my e-mail. I respond to hers.

5:55 - (10 minutes late). Doors close. I inadvertently leave my phone on, and while we're sitting on the tarmac holding for 30 minutes, I get another e-mail from her. Convinced that sitting on the tarmac and not moving at all, I respond to her e-mail, CC-ing my office so they are in the loop on the entire conversation.

6:45 - We reach 10,000 feet. All devices ok to be turned on. Laptops come out. I have a portrait of Ludacris (left screen) to edit (including DNG processing) note the PNY "Eyes of History" thumbdrive in the photo below, and on the right screen I have about 1,500 or so e-mails to wade through - about 98% of which are spam, but I need to find the 2% that I want to keep. I like to take my in-flight time to clean up all my inboxes, migrate files to folders for archiving, and so forth.

7:45 - Appetizers served (see behind laptop). I pause to pull out the Nikon D700 I am getting used to, as it will be an integral part of this trip. The camera is new to me, and I am excited to check it out, since it just arrived earlier this week. I decide that making a frame or two of my in-flight office would be of use, so that's how the above photo came to be. DNG processing is going along just fine on second laptop.

8:29 - Finish up with the D700 (yes, somebody will check the EXIF data to confirm that, I know.) Flight attendant is hassling me about finishing my appetizer, so I do. Open up the files I shot of my workspace and make them look their best. Feel free to click the image to see it larger. Nice how the D700 holds up at 6400 ISO, and gotta love that FX-Full Frame! (Click photo at top to see it larger).

8:45 - Begin writing this blog entry. Not sure how to approach it, at first. I know people will give me crap about my accommodations, but it's workspace people. Can't you tell I am working here? Salad arrives. I choose both chicken and vegetables to accompany it.

8:55 - Flight attendant hassling me about being ready for my main course. So I pause to finish the salad.

9:02 - Dinner arrives. Work on this blog entry some more. I know you have high expectations.

9:26 - Flight attendant hassling me (seemingly after every bite) "are you done with that". I guess most people don't take 24 minutes to eat a small plate of food.

9:30 - Finish dinner. Much to my pleasant surprise, he offers a hot fudge sundae, then, he offers butterscotch. Damn. That's like choosing Kirk or Piccard! Make my choice, and he whisks away my dinner and 2 minutes later, the sundae arrives.

9:35 - Finish sundae, DNG's finished processing. Head back to killing spam e-mail. Note I didn't linger on the time it took to consume the dessert! Hey - the ice cream would have melted!

10:25 - finished with spam, all mailboxes nice and neat and tidy.

10:26 - Settle in to the end of Entourage 1:1. My mind needs an interlude.

11:10 am - Crack open my ASMP 7th Edition Professional Business Practices in Photography that arrived (A Must Read - ASMP's Professional Business Practices in Photography, 8/2/08). I am excited about all the fresh content. I am especially excited to revisit advice from Emily Vickers and Elyse Weissberg, who were mentors of mine from 15 years ago. Their pieces are re-purposed here even though Elyse has passed away - her genius lives on, and I am excited to re-read her counsel which is just as valuable today as it was then.

12:05 am - Crashing. Not the flight. Me.

Changing to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). That's DC + 5 hours. It's now Wednesday.

6:07am - Landing. The flight. Not me. (that would be 1:07am Eastern Time for those math-impaired).

7:10am - Though security, and looking for the lounge where I can get to a WAP. A big thank you to my intern John Birk, who noticed that I was using for my day-to-day travel around the US the ThinkTank Airport Security. John commented that I needed the ThinkTank International because it was just an inch smaller on two dimensions. So, the day before I left, we stopped by the local camera store to pick one up. Sure enough, spying my bag as I rolled through security, I was asked to put my bag into the form to see i it was oversized. I took a deep breath, and slipped it in. It fit so snugly that when I lifted the bag to remove it, it was slightly wedged into the form and the form actually came off the ground before I was able to slide the bag out - and I was allowed to proceed. Damn those ThinkTank people know what they're doing!

7:20am - Get to a WAP. Connect, and let my laptop update all the deleted and moved e-mails I worked on offline thanks to the beauty of IMAP. Outbound messages get sent.

8:00am - Post this blog entry.

Nap until flight at 11:15am to Stockholm. Gotta sleep somewhere. It might as well be a lounge in LHR. They do have showers here.

So, that, friends, is multi-tasking and time-slicing. The above is, to answer the rhetorical question that friends and colleagues keep asking, how I do it.

Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks John, a nice read. I hope Heathrow was reasonably kind to you. Often it is not.

Michael Sebastian said...

John, after reading your post I am so tired I'm going back to bed for a nap! But "they" always say, if you want a job done right, give it to the busiest (wo)man you can find.

Very enlightening. You must have a back like a longshoreman.

Anonymous said...

Great post John! Have a great time over there and if you see anyone from Canon, please shake some sense into them and get them to release a replacement for the 5D already since we're jonesing for a new camera! That 6400 ISO on the D700 is awesome!

Anonymous said...

John, I feel like such a slacker as I sip my coffee and check the morning news. I've just bumped your blog to a higher priority om my morning reads. Inspiring. Curious if you are taking advantage of the TSA 2-bag (ie: one extra) plus briefcase rule for photographers on flights. Would not apply for the return of course.

John Harrington said...

Kevin --

I was concerned about Heathrow, but back (I think) in January, they returned to the one bag and one personal item, so my bag is the ThinkTank International, and my personal item is a Brenthoven laptop backpack, that holds both laptops and so forth. I will be able to go home like that as well.

John

Anonymous said...

Thanks, John. Heathrow is no fun but at least it's getting better. Check the link on my name for more options in the air these days.

J said...

Great post and thanks for the insight! Fun to see how you pull it all off...

Anonymous said...

What airline are you flying on? That's one sweetass seat...

Anonymous said...

Get off the plane, get a nice light weight high end point and shoot and go out in the woods and photograph some birds or mountains. Go to the beach and listen to the surf.
Do you ever relax?Do you spoil family vacations by working then as well?
What's wrong when the pilot says "sit back, relax and enjoy the flight." Nothing is more irritating to other people on the flight than people like you who actually spoil the flight for the rest of us by chatting on their cells phones up to the last minute so everyone else has to listen in, putting their computers away at the last moment, sometimes delaying the flight and working while other people are trying to eat, watch the in flight movie or on a trans Atlantic flight get an hour or so's sleep.

You should have more respect for flight attendants. A couple I know have a list of dreaded passengers. Are you on the list?

(And by the way how many photographers can afford to fly first class???)
How's your blood pressure? When was the last time you had your heart checked?
This is a great blog and would be a loss to the photographic community if you drop dead unexpectedly from overstress.
And as the old parable says, what do you want on your tombstone.
He worked 24/7 and missed everything opportunity to shoot the wonders of the world.

John Harrington said...

Anonymous -

Point-and-shoots don't deliver professional images and birds and mountains don't pay the bills - not for anyone.

I do relax, and I recently was on a vacation with the family, and we had a great time. And yes, I enjoyed listening to the surf, day, and night.

Spoil the flight? Flying is not an experience (except maybe if you're flying Virgin America) - it's a huge inconvenience, and the airlines, shoe-horning people into seats, charging for food now, and so forth - it's laughable that my working "ruined" anyone's flight "experience."

I had my computers away until 10,000 feet, so I wasn't delaying anyone, thank you very much.

Respect for flight attendants? My mother is a flight attendant with United, my brother a pilot with Southwest. Not only do I respect what they and their colleagues do, I celebrate great flight attendants by giving them airline-issued "job well done" vouchers (these are given to frequent flyers and are coveted by FA's because it's an official recommendation program, and is a signal that an FA made the airlines' most loyal customers happy) and I am critical of those that don't measure up. I also say "please" and "thank you".

BP: 120/80. I have a great and strong heart, last time it was checked. No stress here.

I have no worries about what my tombstone will say - my daughters and wife love me and *know* me, my colleagues respect me, and I love what I do for a living.

Work 24/7? First off, I love being a photographer and making amazing pictures. And secondly, I am on location for 2 weeks and being paid to shoot several amazing places in the Baltic region.

I'm glad you like the blog, but it's unfortunate you decided to rail against me not only anonymously, but also without knowing much about my family, professional & personal lifestyle, or my love of life.

-- John

Anonymous said...

I have known John about 18 years and if he needed a space shuttle to complete an assignment -- he would build it himself! The man is amazing as is his wife and daughters.

Anonymous said...

He's also got a big heart and is nothing but polite and respectful to everyone around him. There must be at least a dozen shooters in the DC area who know that if disaster strikes, personal or professional, John will drop everything to come to their aid. He asks nothing from anyone and gives more of himself than any other shooter I know.

Anonymous said...

Great post John. Personally I would love to live vacariously. Feel free to entertain us amateurs with more blow-by-blow details of a day-in-the-life.... (That's a lot of hyphen's!). Don't let party-poopers spoil your day.
Cheers,
Tim

Anonymous said...

John,

Still wanna know the airline...want to aim for that seat! :-)

bmillios said...

Amazing story.

You still didn't answer the most important question:

Kirk or Picard?

:^)

Anonymous said...

hi jh,

keep up the FANTASTIC work !

a quick question on your favourite topic; business negotiation.

did you secure payment from your stockholm client for a first class (or is it business) fare, or given that many of the benefits you drew on were for work unrelated to their assignment, did you charge them economy class and pay for your own upgrade? or did your air miles take care of it? i agree that you get much more work done in business class, but never know how to negotiate for it.

cheers, jm

Unknown said...

I just flew to the Philippines. Eleven an a half hours in the air straight. I would have killed for a seat like that man ooh man

Newer Post Older Post