Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Fashion Police - White House Edition

When, several years ago, I was assisting a friend in getting his first Capitol Hill press pass, as we arrived to proceed into the building, I handed him one my disposable razors I keep in my car, and in said "you need to run this over your face." "Why?" he asked? "It's a simple matter of respect", I noted. To this day, he gives me a hard time with that phrase, and we're such good friends that he didn't take offense at my counsel. (and he did get his credential.)

Yesterday, when I turned up at the White House for my planned coverage of Barack Obama's visit, I was dressed in a suit. That's just me, I guess. Others were not similarly attired, but there were a half-dozen other still photographers wearing ties. I recall with great respect then Agence France Presse photographer David Ake, 15+ years ago, always came into the White House well dressed, and he recieved the respect due a properly attired photographer. Today, Ake is the head of the Associated Press' photo operation here in DC, and he remains well dressed.

(Continued after the Jump)

Re-enter my good friend and colleague, David Burnett. David is a classy guy - top of his class in so many ways, and his class can surmount jeans, except when it's a random challenge by a press operation that has lost much of it's knowledge-base because of the few days left in it's existence. David recounts on his blog - Common Sense, Not Very Common, (11/11/08), writes:
So last Thursday, at what will no doubt be President Bush’s last cabinet meeting, Paul Richards of AFP and I were singled out of the crowd of a dozen still photographers, and refused entry to the photo opportunity in the Cabinet Room. Like Paul, I have been on the road for months doing the campaign. We were both surprised, unhappily, when we were informed that with just months to go in an 8 year tenure, the White House has decided to ban jeans from the Oval Office, and (apparently) the Cabinet Room if worn by photographers.
While I concur that David shouldn't have worn jeans, he would have learned that 7+ years ago had the current administration instituted that rule - and enforced it - way back then. To enforce a rule they've previously not enforced, or been lax in enforcing, is just petty, and belies the mindset of the outgoing administrations attitude towards the press.

While you ponder this, check out previous blog posts on this subject:

Proper Attire Whilst Making Pictures, 6/1/08

Leave The Flip Flops For The Politicians, 5/23/07

So, as the saying goes, dress for who you want to be, not who you are. Wait, I want to be David Burnett...but can I do it without wearing jeans?

Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for recounting that story John.

I see that retelling it still brings you joy; of course at my expense.

I will publicly admit that you were right then; and you are right now. And yes; it was and still is a "simple matter of respect".

Next time though, bring better disposal razors; that one gave me razor burn so bad you could see it in the photo that was taken for the pass.

Thanks for all you do.......

Michael

Anonymous said...

John:

I sure hope the next administration gives you lots of access. What you give to us freely through your experiences is invaluable to the photographic community as a whole.

Your prolific nature and integrity has me wishing you would create a site to organize photographers from all walks and not just selecting those who kiss the most A#$ or throw the most money at the upper tier, self described professionals.

I believe that if the many felt they were respected as individuals and represented/organized as a group, we would reduce the amount of gifting currently seen. You have to teach people to say no to bad deals and they have to trust you before they will listen.

Of course, that would require many of those at the top to show so serious "nads" if you will. I don't personally think they have it in them to act as they teach. They are too busy taking all the new students cash.

It's all smoke and mirrors to them that's the real reason why most don't write on any boards.

Anonymous said...

John,
Two great posts. I concur about Truth Needs No Ally. A must read for anyone in photojournalism. As a former Black Star member, my main regret is coming along after Howard (though Anh was great to me). The post about David Burnett is funny though I'm sure not to David) and truthful. Ridiculously petty for the admin. to enforce a rule previously ignored, but the post is also useful for the young photographers who have yet to experience the difference proper deference can make in gaining access. David Burnett has earned the respect for entrance into any shoot despite his attire, but nonetheless a worthwhile lesson for those without Burnett's experience.

philadelphiaphotographer said...

I always try to dress appropriately while on assignment. I much prefer Kahkis to jeans as I find them to be more comfortable. I like to wear a sport coat and a nice pair of shoes. The thing I can't stand is a @%<#$ necktie! How smart is it to start the day by tying a noose around your own neck. I do not find them attractive or practical in any way. I really wish culturally, we could move on.

Anonymous said...

I went to the White House with a photographer from NY several years ago and I like the other 2 assistants wore ties. One assistant wore a sport coat and slacks I just wore dress pants. The third assistant wore jeans. I thought that was kinda pushing it to be in the company of the President and the Secretary of State, but as fate would have it he is now one of the most famous photographers in the world. It can't hurt, but I don't think it really matters in the end. Great talent and reasonable presentation trump all social decorum parameters. Dress for yourself and your own comfort level, but I think it is futile to say it really matters.

Anonymous said...

haha
this made me laugh :)

Anonymous said...

^^ nice blog!! thanks a lot! ^^

徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 離婚, 離婚,

徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 征信, 征信, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 征信, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信

Newer Post Older Post